The person receives the name at birth, and it accompanies him all his life, until his death. Therefore, it is so important that the name was not just an euphonic sound, but also had such a value that would help a person in life, and not interfere.
Choosing a name is a difficult and responsible question. Let’s take a detailed look at this material, find out which Holy Names can suit each of us and summarize what you should pay attention to when choosing a name.
Name — why it is so important to us
What question are we, first of all, asking, after the boy or the girl found out, appeared in the family? “How did you call him / her? Why does the name play such an important role in human life?
Because we all consciously (or unconsciously) know that The name can have a very big impact on our entire destiny. But how does this happen?
Let’s try to find out further.
Initially, the name allows you to get an answer to the question: «Who am I?». Do a little experiment and ask a five-year-old child: «Who are you?»
He will most likely answer either «I am a boy (girl)», or: «I am Arthur.»
Of course, the influence of a name on a person’s life cannot be compared with the influence of, for example, gender, but, despite this, it is through the name that the child psychologically recognizes himself as a person, which is a very important development factor.
Since the times of distant antiquity, our ancestors associated names with the inner essence of their owners. And the children were never given the names «randomly.»
Before naming someone, you had to perform a special ritual.
The Indians, for example, always had two names: one was false, and the second was true, which should be hidden, because they believed that when someone recognizes him, he can take the fate of the individual under his complete control.
If we consider the most primitive tribes, then the names in them allowed reflecting simultaneously all aspects of human existence. The name gave the answer to the question of who you are, told about the skills of a person, about what he does in life and what place he occupies in the tribe.
The newborn did not receive his name immediately at birth, but over time, as the adults watched him, trying to find some characteristic trait for him personally.
With age, the child was given another name, and subsequently another name.
All people had at least two names: adults and children.
The adult version of the name was associated with a very important ritual — dedication. She not only acted as a reflection of some real success and abilities of the younger child, but also symbolized a change in social status.
Of course, modern society has changed significantly since then. And now there are already other types of social roles.
And the name today does not tell about the abilities of the individual, his professional activities and social status. But still, we should not forget about its most important component — the connection with the human essence, its personal basis, personality.
The name is literally the connection of a person with himself. Despite this, it still acts as a reflection of the most important periods of life, because there are children’s (or more affectionate) variants of the pronunciation of the name, and there are more serious, businesslike (adults).
Recommendations for choosing a baby name
Wanting to give your child a correct name, it is important to follow some simple rules:
- Let the responsibility to the baby be in the first place for you in this matter.
- Be very careful about nonstandard names. Subsequently, at school, they can cause ridicule and attack from their peers, which can cause the very real psychological trauma. Most children do not want to stand out from their surroundings. Therefore, think very carefully before deciding on a very original version of the name.
- It is important that the name evoked respect for other people at the subconscious level, and not rejection. It is not recommended to dwell on too gentle and soft names, because otherwise your baby can be perceived by others not very seriously.
- Do not trust yourself in the question of the sound of the chosen name. You will always show no objective attitude to your baby and embellish everything that concerns his person. Therefore, if you are impressed by the sound of a name, then this does not mean that it really is harmonious.
- Take care of a harmonious combination of name and patronymic and surname.
- You should not choose a name for your baby, based on fashion trends. Fashion is fleeting and very changeable, years will pass and the name will no longer be considered fashionable, but it may sound ridiculous.
- The name can affect the behavior of the child and his entire future life. All names have a different sound: some have a hard and dry sound, while others have, on the contrary, a soft and poetic one. And we all, from childhood, adapt to the sound of our name and are already starting to associate ourselves with it.
- Already have a couple of possible names in your arsenal? Try them on an absolutely stranger. Observe what associations you will call this name, and also think about the impression that a person will make.
- Let some stranger utter, at your request, the chosen name out loud. After all, this is how your baby will be called all his life. And if you do not feel sympathy for how the name sounds — continue to search.
- Remember the celebrities who bear the chosen name, or just the namesake people from your environment. Analyze the features of their character, as well as the whole life. Of course, your baby will have only its own destiny, but by its nature it may be similar with other carriers of the same name.
- Think about what kind of life your child will live. Do you want to ensure him a calm and happy fate? Then stop on not too rare, but not on the most banal names. And in fact, and in the second case, the baby’s pride can be very hurt.
- Do you dream that your child has a strong and stubborn disposition? Then give him a rare and solid name. It motivates the child to defend themselves and their interests.
What are the Holy (Church calendar names)?
Holy calendar act as a list in which holy people are included. The holy calendar (otherwise called the “Church calendar”, “The Monthly”) includes the names in the order of the months and days of the year, in which it is customary to celebrate the memory of a particular saint.
Each of the names of the saints revered by the church is included in the list and it is very important that the name refers exclusively to individuals canonized by the church.
You can find variants of women’s and men’s names in the Svjatov, believers select the names for the Svjatsev for their children.
Church Name Pickup Tips
At this point in time, in the Orthodox calendar, imenoslov or Svyattsyakh, contains more than one thousand seven hundred names. But how to perform this difficult task — from such a variety to choose a name that you name your baby?
Let’s deal with this issue.
The surest solution is to find out, what saints are revered by the church on the day your child is born. But here another problem arises — what to do if, according to the Orthodox calendar, in the day of interest one remembers not one, but several saints at once?
There are after all such days, for example, the twentieth, on which a whole list consisting of male and female names falls.
Then it is recommended to choose from what is offered the most euphonic and most appealing to you name.
How to act in a situation when the church calendar offers a small selection of saints on the day the baby is born? Or do you need to call the girl, and in Svyattsy on the specified date there are names exclusively for boys?
In this case, pay attention to those names that refer to the eighth day from the moment your baby was born (this is the date that the church is intended to use for the name). Similarly, it is allowed to act in the event that you do not like the names falling on the date of birth of the child.
Do not like those names that belong to the eighth day? Then make a choice from the variations attributed to fortieth day after the birth of the baby.
This number was not chosen by chance — as a rule, children are baptized precisely for the fortieth day of life.
Now you will have a lot more choices of female and male names and one of them, but you will like it the most.
In some cases, clergymen bless the naming of newborns, starting not from the church calendar, but in honor of the holy man who helped the baby to be born.
But this case is nothing more than a big exception to the rule.
Parents who plan to christen their boy or girl should not forget that later in their adult life their child will not be able to change the name. The exception to the rules is made only after being tonsured as a monk or changing a religion.
Interesting, but recently there is a revival of the tradition, popular in Russia before the eighteenth century. It lies in the fact that children need to be given two names, one of which will be “worldly” — that is, for use by other people, and the second — “churchly”.
And if the first name is allowed to know to everyone around, then the second is exclusively for the person himself, his parents and confessor.
In some cases, when a person has received a name that is absent in the Svyatstvy, the priest may choose a version in consonance with him in Mesyatselov and conduct baptism on the Svyattsy.
And what about the Day of the Angel
Was it interesting for you to find out why in the Soviet Union they often began to be confused — and to call people who celebrate their birth into birthdays? After all, in fact it is not exactly the same thing.
It happened from the fact that earlier it was decided to call people by the names that fell on the dates at the date of birth. At the same time combined the date of birth and name.
That is, on their day of birth, the birthday was also celebrated — they honored the memory of the holy people whose names they received.
Well, what actually are the names themselves? Other names for this day: angel’s day or namesake day.
How to find out your angel day? This is not too difficult to do — if you received the name mentioned in the Saints, but you do not know which of the saints is your guardian angel, then you should find the first mention in the Church calendar about him after the number of your birth.
This will be your name day. A patron angel will be able to protect a person in a difficult moment, you can ask for help and honor his memory.
And how to act in the event that you received a name that is not in the Holy Family? Do the same as in the first case, but only use the name given to you during the baptism process.
Also find him in Mesyatselov and determine which of the saints is your patron.
Have you decided that you really need the protection of someone from other saints? In most cases, the church allows this.
She permits the choice of another saint by her patron and the celebration of the day of the angel (or name day) on his date.
For example, boys born on the ninth, whom they named as Daniel, may have angel days of the ninth, eleventh, and twelfth, and twenty-fourth and thirtieth. As an exception to the rule, their parents or themselves, as they grow up, are allowed to choose St. Daniel, revered on a different day and then celebrate his name day.
Orthodox priests advise people not only to know what calendar date is their birthday, but also to find out as much information as possible about their patron, his life and deeds.
The most important condition for all Christians is not just the naming according to the Church calendar, but the striving to imitate their saint patron and to be worthy of it at the expense of his behavior and actions.
It is believed that the heavenly patron is very actively involved in the life of their wards. But thanks to this intercession, the Orthodox do not simply receive a powerful defense, but also face a certain responsibility.
The main results on the topic
- The name is the most important component of the personality of each person.
- The name can tell a lot about the character of its owner and even shed light on his fate. For this reason, the choice of the sonorous and «correct» name is extremely important.
- When choosing a name, it is important to pay attention to its combination with the surname and patronymic, and also to monitor whether the name will be soft or hard, as this also affects the character of the child.
- Names for girls and boys according to the Saints provide the chad with patronage from above on his personal guardian angel.
- It is customary to name children either by the names of the Saints (Saints are chosen who are honored on the 8th and 40th days of the birth of the baby).
- Many people have two names, one of which is public, and the second is personal, only the person knows about.
At the end of the topic I recommend you to watch an interesting thematic video material on the secrets of names:
Guess today using the map of the tarot «Map of the Day»!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.